Friday 8 May 2009

Sunshine in Shropshire

Yesterday the wanderlust got the better of us, around 1400 hours we decided that it was time for a move. We packed a few things away, including half of a driftwood rain forest and headed up the coast towards Caernarfon. Here we did a little food shopping before making our way to Llanberis. We were going to stay there for the night, but some inconsiderate so and so had decided that the car park needed to be widened by 2ft and so 100yards of the car park had to be closed in order to complete this major improvement to the facility. We hung around until 1800 hours and drove up the Llanberis Pass through Capel Curig and on to Betws y coed. We found a suitable place to park but for some reason couldn't settle, so it was off again, to Oswestry. We are on a CL (certified location) that is only 150 yards from an A5 traffic island. We have been here before, it is convenient for the town.
At 2130 hours nearby voices attracted my attention, in the adjacent lane a man and young lady were trying to coax a sick Citroen into life. The battery was flat, I got my jump leads out and connected both of their cars together. I told the girl to try it now. She seemed completely bewildered and asked me what she had to do....... Any way it started. They thanked me and were each about to depart in their respective cars when the Citroen stopped again. We went through the procedure a second time, this time I noticed that there was no "Vee" belt attached to the alternator. I questioned the lady about it. She didn't know what I was on about but said that the engine gave a bang and made some other funny noises about 3 days ago, and that it had not run right since, also there was a red light on her dash board which she thought was something to do with the battery. She asked me if that was what was wrong with it then, it's a good job that I didn't say "No,Shit in the carb" or heaven knows what she would have done. After a further hour of attempting to get this lady mobile she said that she was in the RAC and perhaps she should give them a call. I must confess I was now beginning to think that she was like the lights on her car, not too bright. This amazing "emergency service" said that being a lone female they would give her priority and be with her in 75 minutes. Maybe, they came from Caernarfon too. So she left the car and went off to the pub, I went to bed.
This morning the car was gone. Today I have done little, just watched the world go by. The traffic never stops, it is like having a ring side seat at the "Wackey Races" and the venue being the "Magic Roundabout". Between us and the roundabout is large pasture staging a feature length episode of "Watership Down" and a full dress rehearsal of "Emerdale Farm" taking place behind us, complete with Molly Sugden who sold me half a dozen fresh eggs, thank heaven the phone rang when it did or she would still be chatting come the next bank holiday. It is quite amazing how a place so rural can be so busy. We like it though and at three pounds per night it is hardly expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment