Monday 5 April 2010

A Happy Easter

We decided that for the Easter break we would stay put, many camp site owners get very greedy, most places become far too busy for our liking and the weather is often wintry, more than enough reason in my book to keep a low profile and maybe just go fishing. So on Friday evening, when Dean, a good friend of mine invited me to fish a local canal with him, I jumped at the chance. I do not own any coarse fishing tackle and I am happy to practice my fly casting anywhere. My "Buddy" caught a couple of nice fish on spinners, but despite three hours of frantically flicking flies I drew a blank, except for a little mocking by the three wise men who were passing by, saying things like "I don't think there are many trout in here mate" and "Are you lost? Shouldn't you be fishing the lochs of Scotland rather than canal locks?" I heard much laughter from them as they walked on and I so wanted a passing cyclist to knock them into the water. The following evening, Saturday, we went to the same spot for a little more punishment accompanied by another keen angler, Dave. After only fifteen minutes or so, imagine my delight when something of a couple of pound hit my fly and went straight to the bottom. Dave stood happily taking pictures as I wrestled the fish to the bank on my 7ft., 4 to 5 weight brook rod. Dean came over with the net and here is a picture of my prize. Not a bad specimen, but where were the wise men now? After carefully releasing the fish I combed and fettled the fly back into shape and continued to search the black water. For half an hour or so, all was quiet, except for the occasional "dog walker" and the other guys were getting a little despondent, then inches from the bank I was into a second good fish. It took the fly out toward the far bank and went down to the bottom, bending my rod well over, the water surface boiled and we saw briefly that it was a pike. Out came Dave's camera for a second time while I carefully brought the fish closer, I noticed the flash fire a couple of times as the fish broke the surface before going deep again. Oh where oh where were those mocking men of Friday, sadly, nowhere to be seen. With the catch safely on the bank, I posed with my second fish of the day with the fly still in the scissors of the mouth, and the first pike that I have ever caught. I know that it is not large in pike terms but I was chuffed to bits anyway. As happy as a dog with two tails, I put the fish back and washed my hands in the canal. Thanks guys, for a great day, I can't wait to get back for another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment