Thursday 14 October 2010

My pleasure

One of our daughters had a couple of operations in hospital last week, so for the time being we are staying close at hand in case we are needed. She has three children of her own and also looks after her nephews and nieces for a couple of hours most days. Being female, she is very independent and so we have not done a great deal to help out at the moment. The river trout season is over for another year so with the exception of taking two of the grandchildren for a couple of hours on a local canal my fishing tackle remains unused.

The recent spate of dismal, overcast days has made it difficult to carry out any close work but still I have tried to produce a couple of items in leather. Some months back, I made a fairly basic fly case which has worked very well and I now felt that I could do a better job so I passed a few hours by making a second one. The functionality of the first case was good, it was the appearance that I was not happy with. On this latest item I added some leather sides which needed to be "box stitched" in place, I have never box stitched before so it would be good practice I thought. I had a trial run with a couple of bits of scrap and then set about things for real. I took my time, cursed a lot and ended up with this. For a first attempt, I was quite happy with the outcome, it is both strong and neat. Because the light was so poor I decided against hand carving (or incising as it is also known) and stamped a trout design along with my initials.








I continued the stitching all around the edge of the pouch, this serves two purposes, the first is to stop the leather from stretching so much with use and the second, to enhance the overall appearance. The inside contains a piece of dense, closed cell foam to accommodate the flies. Our oldest granddaughter is now a "Guide" and she asked if I could make a woggle for her. Having three daughters, I understand the importance of fashion accessories so I made a small selection in order that she could vary this most prestigious of Guide uniform items. She seemed suitably impressed and I was rewarded with thanks and a big hug. Molly, it was my pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment