Tuesday 14 July 2009

Salmon parr or trout?

Sunday we both felt the need for a change of scenery, we had been static for a week, so we left and stopped a little further along the coast when we found this little spot. No pay and display here I might add. This is only about 5 miles down the coast from where we had been and I wonder why we have never found it before.

We continued on to Llanystumdwy and I could not wait to get out the fly rod once again. Monday however, the weather was far from ideal and the fish were not very active, except for one. It was a large trout of about 10 inches in length and it jumped a good 18 inches into the air then landed with a loud splash, I tried for an hour or so to catch it but I never saw it again. Tuesday I fared a little better with two more trout on the score card, (now running at eleven) but it has to be said that I did have to work hard and had some help.


Meg has been getting increasingly lazy of late and so I took her along with me. At first she wandered around the bank and adjacent field looking for food but when she found none she decided to have a look at what the river had to offer. She reminded me of a Grizzly bear, patrolling up and down in the water and staring into the depths. Every now and again she would try and bat something with a paw and then push her nose two inches under water, but she was not doing any better than I was. A couple of times she got my line tangled around her feet and stumbled about a little and at one point, whilst rolling in the grass, she fell into the river, head first and upside down. When she stood up, she looked at me as if I had pushed her. That was it, she went a lay twenty feet away and turned her back on me. She thinks that we are married.


I continued to fish trying different tactics and different spots and was finally rewarded with a fish, about half an hour later a second fish. I tried to determine whether these fish were indeed Trout or Salmon parr, I have researched this on the Internet and the two are very similar. I have several photographs and I have to say that at least some of the fish I have caught are Salmon parr. Either way they are lovely little fish and I have been very careful not to harm any, having said that, if I catch any Trout the size of a dinner plate they may well get a free tin foil shroud. So, have a look at the next photograph, I would be interested to hear opinions, expert or otherwise. So be careful and fly fishing tips welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment