Wednesday 22 December 2010

"Sods law"



The winter solstice was yesterday and for me it is always a day to look forward to, the return to lengthening days perks me up and with today's repeated dumping of snow I am pleased to have something that lifts my spirit. For the last four or five days, "T", who is 9 years old and one of our grandsons came to stay with us, he likes to go fishing with me and seems to have a growing interest which I am keen to encourage. Many times he has told me that he would love to fly fish, so after a few fruitless sessions, in temperatures that can invoke temporary, involuntary sex change in men we made a trip into town where he bought himself the basics in fly fishing gear. He is naturally very proud of his new equipment and despite the fact that the river has been frozen over for much of it's length we kept having a bash. I would love to have seen his face when he hooked into a decent grayling, but sadly this time it wasn't to be. This morning we had to take the little chap back home to his Mom in order to ensure he is in his own bed when "Santa" calls by. As we returned to the site around midday, the snow began to give way to the sun and I went walkabout with my camera. It was so pleasant, that within half an hour I decided that I just had to try my hand fishing once more. I made my way to a spot that I know often holds a few fish and knelt down facing the sun. Casting here is difficult, there is only a narrow window of about six foot between the boughs of trees but my little 7ft rod is perfect for the job. The water here runs quite slowly and so I laid the fly with as much delicacy as I could muster. It took no more than ten minutes before I was in a full scale battle with a good sized fish. I was sure that I had hooked a grayling because this fish fought me long and hard for several minutes. When the fish finally conceded defeat and was nestled quietly in my net I saw that it was in fact a chub, the second in a week and weighing in at 2lb 1oz. I felt so sorry for "T", only a couple of hours since his departure and "sods law" applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment