Wednesday 11 March 2009

A special day


Today is a special day………It is two years since I retired. I don't know where two years have gone, but unlike when I was working, I have enjoyed just about every day. I still smile in anticipation when I wake, I smile with a feeling of contentment when I go to bed to sleep. God, how lucky am I? I never really knew just how sad I had become, I wish you all the same happiness, however you achieve it.
It is not my place to give advice, nor am I qualified to do so, each person needs to make their own decisions, without pressure from any party and then have the courage and belief to make it happen, it took me 27 years. (That was 27 years in a career, which I hated) What I have found since following my chosen path (Of early retirement) is that my health is so much better, my values have changed dramatically, I see most people in a different light I have more time for them and they for me. Sure, some things piss me off at times, but I don’t dwell on them because they are of less importance. Money no longer has the same value, I don’t mean in the world markets, but to me as an individual, it is all a matter of one’s perspective and ideals. If for instance, you need to feel people envy you or your possessions, then a large or second income may well be important, if, however, you are content, a bulging bank account is of much less significance. Of course we all need money to live but much less than you may think, given a certain frame of mind. Yes, I am lucky, I have a small pension that I was able to take early, but I had to "eat shit" every day for 27 years to earn it. Now, I would never go back to such a miserable way of life, for me, getting out of the rat race has to be one of the most rewarding things ever.
I would not suggest that everyone gives up work and takes up a nomadic lifestyle, but for me, these are the "Good old days" not the dim and distant past. I am even luckier because my wife is in full agreement and gets the same daily buzz that I do. We are the same people that we always were, just happier now that we "live the dream".

No comments:

Post a Comment