Tuesday 16 February 2010

The early birds reward


Today we had to go to the shops for provisions, we usually make an early start in order that we miss the crowds. This morning however, was such a lovely morning that I just had to go out with the camera and take a few shots. The image on the right is the shroud that was wrapped around the windscreen, it was a shame to see the sun melt it away. It was barely light when I left the van and the air was cold and still, which is the best time for photography in my opinion. So before the sun came up I walked along the river bank with the grass crunching under my wellies when I captured this next picture.

It was my intention to shoot the sunrise but it seemed to take for ever before the sun crept over the horizon. My hands were freezing and my winter body warmer no longer lied about the cold around me, I tried to keep active while I searched the landscape for potential pictures. For the next photograph I had to lie on the heavily frosted grass at the edge of the river with my clothing soaking up the moisture. By now all of my gear and my glasses were also freezing cold and so the warmth of my breath caused me problems with condensation, obscuring the view finder and my specs. I really wanted the shot, so I wiped the optics more than once, but in the end I got it.






Experience has taught me that once the sun comes up, there are only a few minutes in which to get the shots before the sun becomes too bright. So I constantly watched the sky for clues, aircraft vapour trails can be a good indicator if clouds are few and far between. At this crucial moment I saw another potential shot forming on the western horizon that I

found I was becoming drawn towards. It took a lot of will power to let it go and position myself for the next shot looking down the river, but here it is, the early birds reward. I love the morning, I always have done and I find it amazing how the same view looks different with every passing minute.



No comments:

Post a Comment