Wednesday 2 June 2010

Bank holiday Monday. A day out with the boys.

I was very kindly invited by my nephew Kristan to go fishing on bank holiday Monday and not having the chance to fish much just lately, I couldn't wait. Four of us left the camp site, my brother Ian, his son Kristan, Kris's friend John and I, bound for some mystery location in the welsh hills. The journey in itself was interesting with the bumps lumps and tight twisty turns, fine; if you are up front in a nice comfy seat, but I was in the back of the van with John travelling economy class. The location was really quite tranquil, no traffic, no people just mountains and two pools. Now I have never fished in a fishery, in fact I have never fished a pool and things are different. Casting was so easy, no trees or bushes or bank side vegetation, just a gentle breeze to bear in mind. The ripples on the water made it difficult to see any gentle rises so I chose a spot facing into the wind where I thought any natural food would get blown towards. The other guys walked passed me and round to the far bank, maybe I had chosen a bad spot. I fished for an hour or so, spotting the occasional fin breaking the surface of the water. Ian and Kris walked over to the next pool leaving John and I with the pool to ourselves. Soon I began to notice a little fish activity to my right, I moved round the bank keeping well away from the edge and then stalked my way forward, keeping low so that I didn't spook the fish. Three or four casts to a spot four foot from the bank and bingo. My little rod bent well over and the fish set sail for the middle of the pool. I let him run a little, I wanted to savour playing the fish and I didn't want to break my light tackle. Slowly I coaxed him back to the shore and picked up my net in readiness, I was expecting him to lie on his side as he gave up the fight. But he was a long way from finished with me yet, down he went like a bungee jumper, testing my rod to the maximum, I eased off the pressure and he took me from side to side seeking sanctuary from his captor. He was shrewd, because now he made a hard fast pull for the bank by my feet, where there was a small clump of reeds. Try as I might I could not stop him and there he sat, solid, like a concrete block. No amount of bullying was persuading him to give up his stronghold, "What do I do now?" I thought. Several minutes he stayed fast, just like he had dropped anchor, resting and regaining his strength, I eased the pressure right off in the hope he might think he had won, sure enough, slowly, out he came, I put the tension back on and for a few more minutes we wrestled. With my rod in one hand held high and net in the other he flopped on his side and into the net. What a beauty, I was well pleased. My biggest brown trout to date, I unhooked him and returned him safely back into his world. I continued to fish the same area for a while longer but the wind had increased a little and I saw no more fish. I decided to join the others on the larger pool and as I was walking over I could see Kris into a full scale battle several rod lengths out. By the time I got to them he had landed the fish and was ready to cast again. His face said it all, sporting a large smile from ear to ear, "It's a blue" he said. I didn't know there was such a fish. I took Kris's picture holding his prize. For another hour we fished on, swapped rods with each other here and there, trying different set ups. I lost one good fish on John's gear just short of the net and I missed a couple more. All too soon our time was up and we had to leave, but I must say, it was a really great day out and one that I am sure I will never forget. Thanks guys. When can we do it again?

No comments:

Post a Comment