Wednesday 30 September 2009

Adding some light on the subject

I just thought that this may be useful to any caravaners who have experienced a similar problem.
For several months now the 12V hob/worktop light in the truck has not worked, so whilst out and about we have looked in many caravan dealers and accessory shops in an attempt to buy a 12V 23" flourescent tube. We have often asked for help, we have been told many times, that it is not a standard size, and that we would probably need to get one from Germany as no UK manufacturers fit a 12V tube of this size. Today we went to a caravan accessory shop in Portmadog to be told a similar tale. Whilst carrying our old tube as a pattern, I looked at the rating that is printed on the glass and I noticed that there was no mention of voltage. I said to Pat, "I wonder if the voltage does not matter then" I decided to have a look in a domestic electrical suppliers outlet called CEF, I explained at the counter the background and questioned the voltage. The man said "You are right, tubes have no voltage rating and one used for a mains supply will work on 12V too". So I paid the man £3.91 and returned to the truck to test it out. Bingo, it lit up and worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment