Wednesday 23 September 2009

Thorn on the cobs

Well, here we are again, back in Llanystumdwy. We arrived here yesterday at about 1600 hours after a steady journey from the midlands. I am surprised at the amount of people that are still on holiday or it could be, like us, they are retired. I had to check out the river soon after arrival and during an hour and a half hours fishing ,caught a dozen or so fish, all trout and salmon parr, all too small for the table. It doesn't matter though, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and went to bed quite content.
Today began with a little rain, but it slowly got better and warmer so I had to give the river another bashing. Seven fish, including what must be the record for the smallest trout ever caught on the fly. What a little cutie it was, less than 2 inches from tip to tail, perfectly marked and released unharmed. I wish that I had photographed it just to show how small it really was. Early in the afternoon we went for a little walk, the intention was to collect some damsons if there were any still about. Sadly not, but we did come across a field full of "corn on the cob" or maize. I just had to have a couple, so with Pat reluctantly keeping watch I straddled the barbed wire fence with pen knife at the ready. I selected two beauties and was trying to find a pocket large enough in which to hide them when Pat warned me of an approaching car. In my haste to get back over the fence I caught the barbed wire right in my wedding tackle. Pat asked "Did you manage to get any?" "Yes" I replied "And a thorn on the cobs" She of course was highly amused and I bet she has a smile on her face when we eat it. Tarra for now. Bond............Vagabond.

No comments:

Post a Comment