Wednesday 30 September 2009

Keeping myself occupied

In addition to my hobbies of photography, fishing, bird watching, walking etc. I like to make things, I like the principles of recyling and try to learn new skills. I consider myself quite fortunate, in so far as, I am quite good with my hands, a gift that I had passed on to me from my mother and father who between them could make or repair just about anything. For those that are interested I have put a few pictures on here to show the sort of things that I have made recently.
The first picture is of a couple of "monkey fist" knots, they were originally intended to weight the end of a rope to aid throwing it ashore. The coloured rope I found on the beach, I cleaned it and taught myself how to tie the knot. I have seen them used as paper weights and door stops. I just like them.









The second picture is a table mat, the rope is window sash cord that I had left over from the second monkey fist. The key rings and fobs I made from bits of odd leather and nylon cord.













On the right are some friendship bracelets that I made, I have made hundreds, in every colour of the spectrum. Once I had made a selection of colours I needed a way to show them off to their best advantage so I made a small version of a wire coat hanger on which to display them.

No comments:

Post a Comment