Friday 22 January 2010

A little of my treasure


Today the weather has been lousy, it has barely got light, none stop rain, steamy windows and a gentle but constant tapping on the roof. Should have been a Monday. So, I worked briefly on some leather but my ageing eyes struggle in the half light and so I had to give up. Never mind eh, at least I am looking at the right side of the grass. As I cleared away my bits and pieces I thought that I should maybe photograph some of the treasure that I have slowly acquired. You must understand, this is by no means the full extent of my gatherings, in fact, far from it, anyway have a look, you may even be a previous owner. It was not in fact until I laid these items out, that I realised I should have photographed them in the condition that they were in when I added them to my hoard. Never mind, maybe I'll remember to do that in the future. The two pocket knives I bought at car boot sales for a few pence, they were completely unusable, but they cleaned up very well and both hold a superb edge. The small black stone is called an "Apache tear" I carry it with me a lot. There is a story of how this stone got it's name and to save me writing it all out if you look on the Internet http://www.minehead-online.co.uk/apachetear.htm you will be able to read it. The small, four fold, 12 inch rule I bought at a flea market in Yorkshire, it would barely open, it was so neglected. I cleaned it, lubricated the joints and hinges and then researched it on the Internet. It is made in Birmingham UK by Rabone and sons. It is made from ivory and brass and is I believe around 150 years old. I was going to sell it, I have had some good offers, but I can't, it is a thing of great beauty and is just nice to hold. At Christmas my daughter Sarah, gave me a gift and as always wrapped it with great care, she embellished it with this peacock feather which I kept. In the picture below is a small anvil which I use sometimes in my leather work and jewellery making. I have polished the surfaces so that I get a good finish. Just below that is my old regimental cap badge (Royal Corps of Signals) of which I am proud. The yellow fluffy hook is called a "bunny bug", it was tied and given to me by a fellow fly fisherman the first time we met. Below that is a piece of buffalo horn that I intend to slice and make into some buttons at some time in the future. The old penny is one of many coins that I have and to its right is a second penny that I made into a piece of jewellery for a wrist band or something similar should I get round to finishing it. The awl I use regularly and is antique, it is a real pleasure to work with no one makes handles like that one anymore. The strange shaped item on the bottom is a carborundum stone mounted on a wooden handle, I have never seen one like it before or since but it gets a fair amount of use sharpening the old knives that I collect and use.

So there you have it, a very brief peek into my box of treasures and now I have to put them all away back into the box where there isn't any room.

No comments:

Post a Comment