Thursday 7 January 2010

An Old Flame And A Cold Night

Due to the recent cold spell, and the problems that it can cause, on odd occasions I have taken to lighting a large church candle and placing it in the awning. It helps to keep the frost off the inside of the fabric. Last night when we went to bed I forgot about the candle. This morning when I got up, there was ice on the inside of the windows, you know, in nice floral patterns. Slowly I got myself moving, let the dog out as usual and prepared some food for the birds. I noticed the candle which I had left lit and tried to blow it out. I couldn't, the flame had frozen solid. Blimey, it must be cold, I thought. I took my penknife from my pocket and carefully cut the flame off the candle and put it in my pocket for safe keeping. I put the food out on the bird tables and dived back into the truck to get warm. I sat down with a nice hot coffee to watch the birds. About half an hour later I jumped up with pain in my right thigh, spilling my coffee and smoke coming from my pocket. The damn flame had defrosted. Hope it warms up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment