Saturday 29 May 2010

Things that go bump in the night

If you don't know by now, I am a quiet sort of guy and I am not fond of busy or noisy places and that is why Thursdays location seemed so appealing. After a lazy few hours, taking in the scenery etc. we retired to bed at about 9:50 pm. As is normal practice, Pat lay reading and after clearing my mind I was soon sleeping like the proverbial baby. Subconsciously I felt the van move, but I am used to that now, it moved some more, side to side. "What's making the van rock?" said Pat. "Dunno" I mumbled, still half asleep. Back in the land of nod I was woken by a loud and heavy BUMP on the bodywork of the van. Meg began barking, which is now most unusual as she seems to be quite deaf. Another BUMP and the van rocked again, I could tell from the roof lights that it was not quite dark, Meg turned up the volume. I moved the curtain to one side but could see nothing, the bumps got louder and more frequent and the van was constantly moving. "It's the bloody sheep" I blurted out, so I clambered out of bed and opened the door nearly getting legged up by Meg in her haste to frighten off the offender, which of course sent a flock of about 60 sheep scattering and bleating across the field. So I am now running around a dark field, in my pyjamas and bare feet, chasing a barking dog that is causing a frenzied panic amongst a flock of demented sheep. With the sheep now half way down the valley, Meg and I returned to the sanctuary of the van where she slumped on her bed and watched me cleaning sheep shit from between my toes with baby wipes and moaning about nettle stings up my ankles. All this for just £6:50. We moved off the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment