Saturday 14 February 2009

Audible warning

The week began well, when we were joined by my cousin Graham and his wife Sheila. We have had very little contact for the last 35 years or so therefore we didn't really know each other all that well. As the week went on, we found that we had been enjoying many similar interests for a number of years including an interest in bird watching. As you would imagine, we did a good deal of talking and comparing notes on a wide variety of subjects. It turned out to be a very enjoyable week, one that will remain firmly implanted in our memories for many years I am sure.
Sadly, the day arrived when it was time for us to part company and that day was today. We said our goodbyes and agreed to meet up again for a repeat event sometime in the future. Now bear in mind, our van has not turned a wheel for six weeks, we have worked on the braking and cooling systems without any form of road trials. The engine fired up OK, and as usual after a long lay up we emitted a fair amount of smoke from the exhaust. Within half a mile of leaving the site, a very loud and ear piercing alarm began to sound in the van, BEEP BEEP BEEP, needless to say it made me jump, I had never heard it before and it was not the anti-theft alarm. My eyes scoured the instrument panels for some clue as to what it might be.......Nothing. The van was driving OK, the brakes were OK, the engine temperature was OK, and Meg was clearly anxious pacing up and down the van. It was about a mile or so, before I could stop safely and I drove on waiting for something to go horribly wrong. I pulled into the side of the road, turned off the engine and within 2 seconds the alarm stopped. I walked around the van looking and checking, then back to Pat who was following in the car. She had heard the noise too and like me, had no idea what was making the racket. Suddenly Pat shouted, "The van........It's rolling". I looked and sure enough it was on the move, I ran after the van and jumped aboard to bring it safely to a halt. In my panic to stop the engine blowing up, I had omitted applying the parking brake. What a prat...............Once again I started the engine and let it run for a minute or two. No ear shattering BEEP BEEP BEEP, great I thought. Whatever it was, has reset. Off we go again, everything was fine, for about another 1/2 mile, then BEEP BEEP BEEP. "Oh shit" I am thinking and again pull in to the side of the road. This time when I turn off the engine the alarm continues. What the bloody hell can it be? I thought. This time, I apply the brake, and walk round the van. The sound was coming from the near side above the rear wheel. Again I walk back to Pat, alarm still sounding, who now has a look of real horror on her face. "It comes on when you touch the brakes" she said. "No". said I. "I wonder if it's that smoke alarm I fitted in the wardrobe". Sure enough, that was the culprit. Again we set off, this time all is OK. Some smoke from the exhaust must have entered through the vent holes under the floor and activated the smoke alarm. Ten minutes later I am pulling up at the house, heart still settling and cursing myself for not realising sooner what was the culprit.
My blood pressure is now returning to normal as I sit watching the snowflakes melting on the windscreen. Peace and tranquillity slowly return.

No comments:

Post a Comment