Saturday 14 February 2009

The rabbit run

Sometimes I have to ask "Why me?" Yesterday we were baby sitting our Grandson, about 0900hrs my wife noticed that one of the miniature pet rabbits had broken out of the pen. The garden is not large but it is well stocked with planters, shrubs and a vast array of children's toys. My first attempt to catch the escapee was a bit of a laugh, as I slipped and stumbled in the snow. My wife suggested that I put some food in the run and wait for him to come and dine. This I tried and it worked, but the moment that I moved to close the security breach the villain was off like a black streak across the white ground. Round and round I ran again. I could sense the neighbours peeping from behind the curtains. So I put out more food and took up position behind the shed wall ready to pounce. 10 minutes later he had me again, off like a bullet. I gave up, complaining to my wife about the stupidity of keeping pet rabbits and the trouble that they cause. I could see that she wanted to smile but thought better of it. An hour later I had another go, but you must understand this is one smart, fit, young rabbit verses one tiring, angry, grumpy old granddad who has long since given up surviving on his wits. Round and round the garden we go again. The wound on my nose and my still swollen knee are now throbbing as my blood pressure is rising steadily. Not being the type to give up easily, a couple of hours later I return with a determination to catch or kill the damn thing. So the meal is presented and I take up position behind the wall once again. This time I am armed with a garden broom so that I can block the escape route before he has chance to drop the carrot. Not so, he could run a distance of 6 foot faster than I could lower a broom head 6 inches. So we ran round the garden again, both of us slipping and sliding, knocking shrubs over, breaking plant pots and risking serious injury leaping bikes, scooters, roller skates and other abandoned toys. I almost lost an eye on a bamboo cane and snagged my clothes on thorns. I gonna get him I thought, even if I do become a star on "you tube". The neighbours must have wondered what the bloody hell was happening as I clattered around in hot pursuit still wielding the garden broom. Finally I got my chance, I pounced, or fell from above him and grabbed him in a vice like grip across his shoulders. There were cheers and clapping from the wife as I rose victorious, filthy dirty and covered in garden debris but clutching the little critter like a trophy. So, to the neighbours........I hope you enjoyed the show and if you should see me on "You Tube" believe me, I was more traumatised than the rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment