Saturday 14 February 2009

My nose job.

Last Monday I had a trip to the dentist to have a tooth treated for a disorder the he had never seen in 27 years. I wont go into the ins and outs, I had to have it extracted. There was no pain but it took the dentist 20 minutes of pulling and twisting to remove it. It came out in five parts with a piece of the root still remaining firmly planted. It is only to be expected that I suffer some after effects for a while.
Today it snowed here like most of the UK. My four-year-old granddaughter wanted me to take her for a ride on the sledge. I was only too happy to take her. The sledge is a large wooden Austrian built one that we bought for our daughters when they were much younger. After a couple of circuits of the housing estate I began to get a little bored with my role as a reindeer. I decided to take her down a gently sloping but rough track that is nearby. Now this sledge goes like the wind, I took up position at the rear and began to push as I ran, we were just about at my maximum speed when my foot slipped in the snow. I lunged forward just as the front of the sledge dropped into a pot hole which made the rear end flip up as I put my hands out to break my imminent fall. My fall was broken by the bridge of my nose on the rear of the sledge and my knee sent a searing pain shooting up to my brain. I grabbed a handful of snow and stuck it across my heavily bleeding nose. My little granddaughter looked on anxiously as the snow beneath me got redder and redder. "Can we go home Grandpa"? She said. I checked that she was OK first and tried to stand. My left knee was not having any and I sat down with a bump on the sturdy and unmarked sledge. I took several minutes to mop up blood and get my breath back before hobbling back to the house.
My nose now has a kink to the right and a 2cm gash that it did not have before, my left knee is ballooning and walking is awkward. The deliberate hole in my gum is still as sore as a week ago and frankly I feel battered. I have never been a fast learner but I think maybe, I should stick to photography and bird watching in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment