Saturday 18 April 2009

Taking stock

The day began with a cold start and threatening sky but once the sun was up the cloud dispersed and the temperature rose quite rapidly. Most of the morning was given to chatting and taking the sunshine on our faces. The hours passed quickly and it was soon time to say goodbye to Ian and Maria, once again we were alone with just the birds for company. The day got progressively warmer and much later in the afternoon I began to take stock. I had walked two miles to post a birthday card, I later walked a mile to collect half a dozen wild garlic leaves. I had fished for trout and watched dippers flying up and down stream above the glistening river. We had washed several days clothes and hung them in the breeze behind the truck. I noticed for the first time the traffic racing up and down the adjacent road and I thought again about how lucky we are, living this dream of ours. Ian returned after dropping Maria at the train station in Bangor. Pat prepared the evening meal and I chopped and added the garlic leaves to my meal, it was really tasty. The leaves have quite a delicate flavour, not at all overpowering I felt really satisfied and very content. As I sat in the sun a beetle bit my bare foot, it made me jump, I brushed it to the ground and watched as it burrowed in the grass not once thinking about taking my revenge by stamping on it, like I may well have done in the past.


Yes indeed, we are so lucky, life is good and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment